The beautiful village of Menoiko is located 20 km west of the capital city, between the villages of Paliometocho, Akaki and Peristerona. 

While strolling around Menoiko one encounters the well-known church of Agios Kyprianos and Agia Ioustini with its imposing bell-tower, the old and modern housing which create a harmonic combination of traditional neighbourhoods with houses of popular architecture and modern neighbourhoods with houses of contemporary architecture.  

Continuing one’s stroll, they will reach the Akaki river with the magical images created as the water levels rise, the remains of old water mills, cultivations including citrus fruit, vegetables, olive trees, grains, as well as some age-long olive trees. 


Historical Background

The archaeological site of the village testifies that the village area had been inhabited since the very ancient years. In particular, excavations revealed a small agricultural chancel with many clay idols dated back to the 6th century B.C and which was dedicated to god Vaal-Ammonas. According to the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, this god identified with the Cypriot god who protected shepherds and farmers, something which suggests that the area was inhabited by farmers and live-stock breeders and that the Phoenicians had a great influence as far as worshipping the particular god was concerned. 

Later on, during the reign of King Peter I, the village constituted a fief which belonged to the nobleman Eric de Givlet. Next, it became a fief of Hugh de Lousignan, son of Phivos de Lousignan, who was a member of the royal family of Cyprus.  

During the Turkish occupation (1571-1878), the village was inhabited by Turks who left later on.



There are various versions related to the naming of the village and on them depends the spelling of the name, whether that is Meniko or Menoiko. 

According to the first version, the name of the village is linked to Domenico who was either resident or owner of the village. Georgios Voustronios supports this version by naming Menikos de Givlet as owner of the village. However, this version is linked to the Frankish Period and is therefore characterised by the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia as a coincidence since the naming of the village is older than that.  

In particular, the naming of the village, according to the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia is more ancient than the Frankish period. It derives either from the Byzantine years and is actually a compound word containing the word “oikos” which in Greek means residence, or it is linked to the name Menoikeas.   

The latter version, meaning the one which links the naming of the village with Menoikeas, son of Kreontas, King of Thiva, appears to have predominated over the other namings since the spelling of the present name is based on it (Menoiko). 



Menoiko is one of the communities of Cyprus which have managed to maintain their population. This has been contributed by three factors, namely the fact that Menoiko is very close to the capital city, because its land is really fertile, something which favours farming, and due to the developmental works which are constructed in the community.  


Number of Residents


Number of residents 






























Today the village has 1000 peaceful residents who mainly deal with farming and live-stock breeding. 

 *Information provided by the Council 



In Menoiko, as Karouzis observes, stands one of the few Orthodox churches dedicated to Agios Kyprianos and Agia Ioustini.   

Nowadays, the name-day of the two Saints is celebrated on October 2nd and hordes of worshippers come, from all over Cyprus, to worship the two Saints and to have fun at the fair held at the village every year. It is undoubtedly one of the biggest fairs in Cyprus. What is also noteworthy is that over the past few years many worshippers arrive from overseas and more specifically from Russia and other former Soviet countries. This is linked to the Holy Bishopric of Morfou and mainly the Bishop of Morfou Neophytos who projected the miraculous properties of Agios Kyprianos and Agia Ioustini. 

Located more to the south of the church of Agios Kyprianos and Agia Ioustini and in a short distance from it is the chapel of Agios Georgios, while located east of the village is the chapel of Agios Andronikos. Moreover, a bit more to the north there is a small chapel of Virgin Mary, Mother of Children which is known to the wider area.  




Giorgos Karouzis, Strolling around Cyprus, Nicosia, City and District, Nicosia 2001
Community Council
Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, vol. 10, Philokypros Publications, 1986